US Army in Vietnam Order of Battle: Arrivals and Departures
Submitted by Richard A. Rinaldi © 1999
US Army Engineer Command, Vietnam, raised 1 Feb 1970 to provide
command and control for non-divisional Engineer units; on 30 Apr 1972 (after
departure of last Engineer Group still present) it was redesignated US Army
Engineer Group, Vietnam, which was discontinued 28 Mar 1973.
Assignments shown are those for the bulk of service in Vietnam.
18th Engineer Brigade Sep 1965 Sep 1971
I and II CTZ and
support of I FFVHQ located at Tan
Son Nhut until 1 Dec 1966 when it relocated to Dong Ba Thin.
- 35th Engineer Group Jun 1965 Nov 1971. HQ
located at Phan Rang until Apr 1966, when it moved to Cam Ranh Bay; it was
at Qui Nhon JulDec 1968 and then returned to Cam Ranh Bay.
- 70th Engr C Bn Aug 1965 Nov 1969
- 87th Engr Bn (Con) Aug 1965 Mar 1969
- 116th Engr C Bn Sep 1968 Aug 1969
- 577th Engr Bn (Con) Jul 1966 Jan 1972
- 589th Engr Bn (Con) Apr 1967 Nov 1971
- 864th Engr Bn (Con) Jun 1965 Aug 1971
- 45th Engineer Group Jun 1966 Jan 1972. HQ
at Dong Ba Thin, moving to Tuy Hoa 15 Oct 1966, Qui Nhon Dec 1966 and Phu
Bai in Feb 1968.
- 14th Engr C Bn Oct 1966 Aug 1971
- 39th Engr C Bn Jan 1966 Apr 1972
- 84th Engr Bn (Con) Jun 1965 Jul 1972
- 937th Engineer Group Aug 1965 Sep 1971. HQ
at Qui Nhon, moving to Pleiku Nov 1966 and Phu Tai 10 Mar 1970.
This was the only engineer group with (Combat) in its title;
the others were all (Construction) although all had a mix of combat
and construction battalions assigned.
- 19th Engr C Bn Sep 1965 Dec 1970
- 20th Engr C Bn Jan 1966 Aug 1971
- 299th Engr C Bn Oct 1965 Nov 1971
- 815th Engr Bn (Con) Apr 1967 Jan 1972
20th Engineer Brigade Aug 1967 Sep 1971
III and IV CTZ and
support of II FFV
HQ located at Bien Hoa.
- 34th Engineer Group Mar 1967 Mar 1972. HQ
at Vung Tau, moving to Bin Thuy Feb 1969.
- 27th Engr C Bn Oct 19666 Jan 1972
- 35th Engr C Bn Nov 1966 Sep 1970
- 36th Engr Bn (Con) Sep 1967 Apr 1972
- 69th Engr Bn (Con) May 1967 Nov 1971
- 93rd Engr Bn (Con) Jun 1967 Jul 1971
- 79th Engineer Group Jul 1966 Dec 1970. HQ
initially at Phan Rang, moving to Long Binh Oct 1966.
- 86th Engr C Bn Oct 1966 Aug 1969
- 168th Engr C Bn Nov 1965 Apr 1970
- 554th Engr Bn (Con) Apr 1967 Mar 1972
- 588th Engr C Bn Nov 1965 Nov 1970
- 159th Engineer Group Oct 1865 Apr 1972. HQ
at Bien Hoa, moving to Long Binh Jul 1966.
- 34th Engr Bn (Con) May 1967 Oct 1971
- 46th Engr Bn (Con) Sep 1965 Nov 1971
- 62nd Engr Bn (Con) Aug 1965 Nov 1971
- 92nd Engr Bn (Con) May 1967 May 1972
- 169th Engr Bn (Con) May 1966 Apr 1972
HQ 921st Engineer Group was in Vietnam 1 Oct 1966 to 25 May
1968, but never operated as a command organization; it served to help staff U.S.
Army Engineer Command (Provisional) and then served as a sort of holding unit
Back to US Army in Vietnam Order of